Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Breakup Bible by Melissa Kantor


Jennifer is in love with her boyfriend Max, the editor of the school's newspaper that she also works for. Just last weekend they had a great time at a party and Jen thinks the relationship is amazing. It's been four months, when suddenly Max wants to have a talk. In standard guy form, he tells Jen that they should just be friends. Because that makes it all better. No ice cream, chick flick, or shopping trip is going to make this pain go away. Enter Dr. Emory Emerson.
His self-help book, The Breakup Bible, is given to Jen by her garandma. But after reading the first few pages, she doesn't want its help, only her boyfriend back. Jennifer's journey to find out that she does not need Max to succeed is filled with funny situations, shocking revealations, support, and scandal. As she starts to read on and follow the bibles commands, Jen finally lets Max go.
This book was perfect, not only for young adults, but women everywhere that need to remember that you do not need someone else to complete you. Jen, her friends, and her family all make up a wonderful little world that anyone would want to be a part of. I only wish someone would have given me a copy of this book in high school!
The Breakup Bible is a Best Book for Young Adults

3 comments:

May said...

This book should have been in my hands a few months ago when my daughter's first serious relationship ended. The "talk" ended the same way, "let's be friends" which means "I need playing room". She accepted his decision , but when he felt like he wanted to be in touch he would call.

Janine said...

Good review Mallory. I liked the color you chose to post in because it made the post stand out. Also you gave enough details to let the reader know what the book was about without giving away too much detail. I'm intrigued.

Unknown said...

Mallory, at first I watched your book talk on The Breakup Bible and it made me want to read more about this novel. It sounds likes a great book to have some of my teen girls read. The protagonist sounds like many of my students who are always seeking the approval of others to feel complete, when they should really be trying to seek their own approval instead. I would suggest if sharing this with teens that you should maybe not mention the fact that Jen lets Max go, because it sounds as though it gives away the resolution of the novel. I am not sure if it does, that is just the conclusion I am drawing.