Monday, November 5, 2007

Skin, by Adrienne Maria Vrettos

If you pull out the plug from a sink full of water, the water swirls down the drain, slowly at first, not necessarily noticeable, but with accelerating force.

The family in the novel Skin, by Adrienne Maria Vrettos, pulls out their own plug, and their family life inexorably goes down the drain. All of them try hard to get a hold, but they are lost in the swirls and gravity of their own family dynamics.

The trigger of their fall is the hostile relationship between the parents. Although they seem to try, they cannot accept each other’s weaknesses. Their fights dominate the family life so much that there is not enough room for the children, Karen and Donnie, who create the ritual to spend the time of their parent’s fights on the door steps and to comfort themselves with macaroni afterwards. But neither can the doorsteps sufficiently distance the children from the malady of their family nor can macaroni replace the attention of their parents. Karen develops anorexia and Donnie becomes “invisible” in another sense. He hardly talks and does not take care of himself. At the end of the book, the relationship of the parents is destroyed, Karen starves herself to death, yes, literally, and Donnie? All of a sudden, the most passive family member throughout the book refuses to be swirled down the drain with everybody else. Will he manage to place the plug back in place?

Skin is a good novel to read for both teenagers and adults because it shows the entangled and complex reciprocations of family conflicts from multiple perspectives. It shows how the conflicts of each member has an impact on the health of the whole family, and it makes diseases, such as anorexia, understandable. Although the family in Skin gradually destroys themselves, it is a hopeful book that encourages the reader to take responsibility for one’s self.


10 comments:

Tom Philion said...

Nice job, Mirja! Thanks for posting--this sounds like a book I would love to read--its on my list for the future.

Take care,

TP

Amanda Gifford said...

First you write Donnie and Donny. just a continuity issue....


Im also not sure what you mean by Donny not caring for himself. Does that mean he doesnt take care of himself or he doesnt like himself like i "dont care for broccoli"?

From your summary it appears that the girl literally starves to death. is that true?

Finally the sentence :"Neither the adults, nor the older sister, but the youngest member of this family could save himself by taking action." is kind of awkward. I think you are saying the adults and the older sister couldnt save themselves but the youngest family member could. but maybe there is different wording?

Mirja said...

Hi Amanda,

(I'm not sure if this is the right place to react to comments, but I just do it.) Thank you very much for your hints about my wording. They are very helpful.

Amanda Gifford said...

thank you for making subtle changes,its a lot clearer now!(at least for me) i am putting this on my reading list because it seems really important (i.e. the eating disorder and family problems). its themes seem congruent with SFFSB.

Lisa Mia said...

Mirja,

I'm not sure if I am reading it wrong or out of context but it appears that you refer to the novel Speak when I think you meant to write Skin. I reread the post a couple times to see if you do make a comparison between the 2 novels, I didn't see it. You might want to edit that...unless I'm totally wrong, of course! :) Great summary though!!!

Mirja said...

Of course, "Skin," not "Speak"! Thank you. They do have similarities, though :-)

May said...

I enjoyed your book talk. I've tried recording twice and have edited them. I am not one who likes to be video taped,(smile).

Kristy Maczko said...

I really liked your book talk. It made me want to go out and buy that book!

shazia said...

i really enjoyed your review, mirja. i'm not sure if the book used the water/drain metaphor, but i loved the use of it throughout this review. it seems this is a heavy read, but well-worth it. great job!

Unknown said...

Mirja, the opening comparison that you made between the family and the currents in a drain, was incredible. It drew me in to read more of your summary. As I was reading, I wanted to know more about the family in Skin. I liked how you gave a brief description of the family members. At the end I was concerned that you were giving away the ending when you spoke about the parents and Karen. However you left a great cliff hanger in regards to Donnie and his resolution. Your book talk also enhanced my wanting to read the novel. It sounds like a very interesting and engaging novel. Thank you.