Monday, November 5, 2007

Doing It Right, by Bronwen Pardes

"Taboo" is not in Bronwen Pardes' vocabulary.

She explains everything, and I mean everything, that teens might want to know, in a factual and sometimes humorous way. Pardes starts with clarifying terminology and anatomy. She also shows the possible consequences of sexual activity, both the advantages and the risks. She talks about birth control, STDs, the diversity of sexual orientation, transgenders, masturbation, orgasm, and finally, the dangers of abuse. She ends her book providing numerous web sites about sexuality for further advice.


As so called “sex lady,” Pardes visits schools to teach sexual education. She enjoys her nick name. To the "sex lady," every question is normal and legitimate, and thus deserves an honest answer. While visiting schools, she collected the most frequent questions from teenagers and provides the answers in Doing It Right, uncensored.

As the subtitle says, Doing It Right is a guide for teens towards "Making Smart, Safe, and Satisfying Choices about Sex." By educating them, Pardes gives teenagers the tools to make these decisions independently and wisely. Whether they follow the warning of conservative parents, the dogmen of religious beliefs, or the pressure of peers, after reading this book, the teens do not follow blindly.

This is a valuable book that belongs on every teenager's bookshelf, in every school, and in every library. I have gained the impression that the sex lady belongs in every school as well.

http://www.doingitrightbook.com/

8 comments:

Amanda Gifford said...

i am a beilever that this is the kind of books young people need. I just read an article in my local paper today that was talking about how abstinence only education doesnt work. I wish that my friends and myself had a book like this.

Mirja said...

That is exactly my thought. I wish I had this when I was younger.

Mallory said...

Awesome book choice! I like to think that I would make a fantastic sex lady. (but that's for another time and place!!:)) I agree that children, and yes I mean 9-10 year olds going by the standards these days, should have access to books like these. I had a book when I was younger, it might have been called "It's a Girl Thing," and I refered to it countless times when I was in junior high. Either way, if a kid is reading, that's the best part....whteher you preach abstinance or a smart education!

Mirja said...

Hey, anonymous sex lady, who are you? Mallory? Great, the world needs more sex ladies.

(I hope these posts don't step over a line??? If they do, then, hey people, don't forget the context)

Mallory said...

yeah, its Mallory. I don't know why it comes up as MRH, maybe I wrote that in, which is weird because I never use my initials. Well, neat, I'm incognito now!

Cindy A-L said...

Great discussions you all make me laugh! Seriously though what a great resource for sure- at the same time you know it is also great for contraversary. Some people will foght to keep it off the shelves. Too bad- but to each his own. I hope there are more books out there like this. Just wondering what grade? age? you think this would be appropriate for- starting age that is.

Janine said...

It's good to place a face with the name Mirja. Cute post. You look relaxed sitting on the floor and I thought of your post from " Story of A Girl."

Because this book contradicts what I believe and would teach my own children, I would have a hard time sharing it with my students. I know, I know, but I cannot betray myself or my beliefs. You did a good job of providing enough details for educators, parents, and potential readers to make their own decisions about the text.

I can see this book causing lots of controversy in school communities where parents are involved enough to know what their kids are reading. Again Mirja, you give us an idea of what to expect leaving no room for surprises- good job!

Tom Philion said...

Great job with all your reviews, but especially this booktalk here Mirja--its a great example of a short, creative, sales pitch for a book.

Thanks!

TP