Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Dead High Yearbook



Dead High Yearbook is written and illustrated by some of the top comic book talent in the country. However, the book is anything but funny. Every one of the grisly stories deals with the death and destruction of the characters.



The premise of this book is two zombie editors are working together to publish the annual yearbook. The first chapter Fear Pressure shows the demise of an overweight girl, Lisa and an underweight boy named Jeff, aka Stickboy. In order not to be high school outcasts they go to HSIEN HU'S Herbal Remedies Shop. They are given shots and take pills in an attempt to fit in and be accepted by their peers. In the end they both become monsters.



The eight chapter titles range from Gore-Ientation to Fang You So Very Much. The word play with the chapter titles is the only light part of this book. The book is very dark and each one of the authors' stories become more depressing and more violent. The graphic art and the dialogue have quite an edge to them.



I tried reading the book on several different occasions, thinking that there must be something more to the text. But, after reading through the selection several times and going over the comic captions, I can honestly say that I did not like this book at all. Although, I do not care for this book many young adults who enjoy horror stories and comics may find this book entertaining.




As a teacher, I would not recommend this book and definitely would not bring it in for classroom discussion. In my opinion, there is really no place in a high school classroom for this book. Ivan Velez who is a cartoonist, writer and publisher wrote two of the chapters. It seems to me that each of the authors contributing to this book tried to top one another with bloody and violent endings to their short stories.

3 comments:

Tom Philion said...

Wow--thanks Mary--I have to admit, your review here has really peeked my curiousity. I'd like to take a look at this myself.

From your description of the story about the fat and thin adolescents, I get the sense at least in this story that the author is using horror to convey a message about the importance of loving the body you have, and not going overboard in a search for remedies. Maybe this story is an adolescent counterpoint to that Dr. Seuss story about Lolla-lee-lou and her search for a longer and better tail?

In any event, horror is tricky--many teens love it, and it is the only way to get them to take certain important messages (such as the one above about body type) seriously, since they see everything else that is less horrific, and therefore sometimes more generic, as schmaltzy.

in any event--thanks--I'll be curious to see if this book actually makes it onto the "Great Graphic Novels" list.

Tom

jklopp said...

Thanks for the review. It was very honest and informative. I guess not all books can be great ones. Still, now, I'd like to see what it is. Sometimes a bad review can bring a book new life. Perhaps in the future it will be looked at in a new light.

Mallory said...

I don't like graphic novels either. They seem to lack any real substance and the pictures sometimes just remind me of that horrible "Sailor Moon" cartooning! But I guess some kids do love it! In all these graphic novels I keep searching for some hidden meaning. I cannot find it! Hmm, really!!??