Friday, November 2, 2007

Re-Gifters by Mike Carey

re-gift
-to give an unwanted gift to someone else: to give as a gift something one previously received as a gift.

What goes around comes around is certainly one way to describe this fun action filled read. Jen Dik Seong, or Dixie, to her high school friends, narrates this story. She lives in LA's Koreatown and studies hapkido, the Korean martial art, which she has begun to show great promise in. Now, if only she could get her ki, or "harmonious essence" back. Dixie, you see, has been somewhat distracted lately by a "major" crush on Adam, a California surfer boy, who also studies hapkido with her.
Adam, of course (in keeping with his surfer boy reputation) is oblivious to Dixie's affection which she desperately tries to show him until finally she musters up enough courage to give him a special gift at his party.
But, where did Dixie get the money for this gift? Her family, after all has been struggling to make ends meet since losing their store in the Rodney King riots. Her father, however, has always put aside money for Dixie's hapkido; it is a part of their culture and that is very important to their family. The money in the end is from her father who has saved it for Dixie to enter an upcoming hapkido tournament. Needless to say, Adam re-gifts the present to someone else which begins a re-gifting cycle and Dixie is left struggling to find money to get back into the tournament.

I have to admit I did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did for I usually have little interest in graphic books. My eyes have been opened to a new genre. Even though it was fairly predictable, I was impressed at how well rounded the characters actually were, Dixie especially. She is spunky and a lot of fun in her telling of her crush on Adam and the typical "first love" feelings she is experiencing. She is very easy to connect to. I am sure both middle school to high school students would enjoy this book.
The graphics were full of energy and had great facial expressions. The Korean culture prevailed throughout which may also be of interest for those teaching in the history and/or social studies area.


7 comments:

May said...

I am amazed at the direction of the graphic novels. I have suggested teachers use graphic novels to get students interested in reading. One problem I found is not many publishing companies/ book vendors were carrying them.
The book seems enjoyable; the title did catch my eye when I was making my choice. I thought it was going to be about passing on a present someone didn't want.

Cindy A-L said...

May, I am too amazed at the direction the graphic novels have taken. This is a very fun book and I am sure the kids will enjoy it- there is a little unexpected romance as well for Dixie. Interestingly to as the gift begins the cycle of being "regifted" each character learns something about the giver.

Tom Philion said...

Hi Cindy--thanks for the posting! This novel really does sound interesting--in my own reading and research, I am finding a lot of novels exploring cultures from Asia: China, Japan, and now Korea. It is interesting how there is such a strong parallel between the increase in interest in immigrants and immigration and novels like this one here.

I love the idea at the heart of the novel, re-gifting. This sounds like a very powerful way to explore different notions of what a gift is, and also ideas about the value of gifts (how they mean different things to different people).

Take care,

TP

Amanda Gifford said...

I maybe speaking for myself here but all I know about hapkido is that it is some form of martial arts. I actually would strongly recommend/request a link to information about hapkido, for those of us who lack the proper culture. This seems like a cute book though. :)

Kristy Maczko said...

Great review! I had to say, I agree with you on the graphic novels. I had never picked one up until this class, and I thought it was very interesting. It would be a great way to get kids reading, especially the ones that think reading is for dorks!

Janine said...

Funny comment Kristy!

When I first saw the title to this novel on the available titles listing by Tom, I immediately thought that this was a gook about gifts received through re-gifting and the stories behind them. My second thought was that this was how to re-gift.

I don't know much about hapkido but I assumed from the word, the novel cover, and other elements in your review Cynthia that it was from the Japanese culture. Thanks for adding the link, though.

The author has chosen a very interesting way to address this issue, not only in a novel but a graphic novel at that! Thanks for bringing clarity to what the novel is all about Cynthia.

jklopp said...

That's great you found something enjoyable from the book. I have had that experience lot's of times. I read a book not expecting to like it, but usually I do find something. If only we could convince our students more to read something, then judge it, but not before.