Monday, November 26, 2007

Love*Com Vol. 1 By Aya Nakahara


I have never been big on reading comic books, and that’s just how this book is structured. Reading this book was an experience. It reads from right left. I found it sort of difficult to follow at first, but after reading the same pages over and over again, it started to come together. I admit it was a task.
Since when has the glossary ever been at the front of the book, and the table of contents at the end. There are quite a few Japanese terms that made it even more difficult to follow. I can say; however, that I can read from right to left. Perhaps this would appeal to middle school girls who like the quirky little stories of school days and the unforgettable moments of embarrassment that turned out to be OK after all. Perhaps Aya can better explain her rationale for working backwards. Check out http://www.shojobeat.com/ for more interesting thoughts from the back of her mind. Get the newest version available in Decemeber at www.borders.com

1 comment:

Stacey Williams said...

I'm not sure if it's true but isn't that how Japanese books are usually structured. I am sure that it probably took a lot of getting used to especially since you're also not a fan of the style of graphic novels . I am interested in the story line and would like to know a little more about it.