Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt

It’s 1967. You’re a 7th grade boy who has been roped into playing- of all things- you’d never guess- a fairy. That’s right a yellow tight, feathers on the “you know what”, wearing fairy! Would your reaction be much different than that of the central character or his peers if it was during today’s time? Probably not! In Gary D. Schmidt’s novel we meet Holling Hoodhood and experience through his first hand telling the weekly war in which he is engaged with a new teacher that surely “hates his guts.”

I must say, that I immensely enjoyed this novel! Unlike others that I’ve read over the course of this semester that have been filled with more heartache than joy, this novel had me smiling and laughing out loud. Schmidt mixes a good dose of humor with the account of the trials of adolescence as faced by Holling Hoodhood (what a name!). Holling tells the story beginning with his first day of school in 7th grade filled with bullies, friends and foes, Shakespeare, and a teacher who- “hates his guts”, to his last day of 7th grade. We see through Holling’s eyes how the life of an adolescent in 1967 is not all that different from the life of an adolescent in 1977, 1987, 1997, or the present day. Holling competes for his parent’s attention with their everyday cares of life while getting little solace from his older sister. We go with Holling as he learns to cope with the trials of home and school life and grows from a boy into a young man who finds his own identity.

It was difficult for me to put this novel down. The humor used by Schmidt made this a page turner that I would recommend for readers from 6th grade to adults. This novel would be great in language arts class and also a recommended read during a history unit on the 1960s.

Best Books for Young Adults, 2008 Nominations


4 comments:

shazia said...

this sounds like a really fun novel, janine; your enthusiasm is emanated through your review! it seems schmidt did an effective job in demonstrating the persistance of adolscent struggles by the setting up a plot that can apply to YA more than 40 years later. good job!

Janine said...

Thanks Shazia. It really was funny! I hoped to convey just what you mentioned in my writing- looks like I did. Yea!

Tom Philion said...

Great booktalk, Janine--I love it! You made me laugh out loud, and reinforced the commitment I made from reading your review to go out and get this book soon. I'm getting involved with a 6th grade boys book club, and I think this might be something worth looking at as a possibility for them.

A great title--can't wait to read. Thanks!

TP

Janine said...

Thanks Tom! Please keep in touch and let me know what you think once you read the book and the boys also!