Monday, December 8, 2008

Wonder Woman: Love and Murder by Jody Picoult

I have a confession to make...Wonder Woman: Love and Murder by Jodi Picoult was my first graphic novel, ever.  I had no idea what to expect, and I had some confusion as to why Jodi Picoult was publishing a graphic novel.

Jodi Picoult is best-selling novelist who has published novels such as My Sister's Keeper, Second Glance, The Pact, Plain Truth, and The Tenth Circle.  The Tenth Circle had a graphic novel embedded into the text.  Her novels deal with real-world ethical conflicts, so the thought of her tackling Wonder Woman surprised me.

In this episode, we are introduced to Wonder Woman via Diana Prince, her human alter ego.  She's working with humans at the Department of Metahuman Affairs and struggles with relating to humans on a personal level.  She can save humans, but the day-to-day effects of the everyday life give her trouble.  The people that she is working for want her to bring in Wonder Woman for questioning, in response to the death of Max Lord.  Let's see where this leads....

Overall, I found this book to be an enjoyable read that would be well placed in a high school library.  However, I am not sure the academic merit of this text.  High school literature teachers could work in readers of superheroes - then and now.  Students could analyze how society viewed women in comics in the past and present.  Jodi Picoult's other works would be well-placed in a best sellers course as they deal with many current issues.


  

No comments: