Friday, November 14, 2008

Debbie Harry Sings In French by Meagan Brothers

Our teenage years are a time to get to know ourselves and a time to figure out who we are. A time that involves, say, the death of a parent, taking care of a widowed, alcoholic parent, a deadly drug overdose, getting shipped to rehab, getting sent across the country to live with an estranged uncle, questioning our sexuality, and dressing in drag. Right?

Well. This is Johnny's life. Maybe he's had it a little rougher, a little stranger, than most teenagers.

Oh---and the person who helps him through all this...is Deborah Harry.

Yes.


I think I could stop here, and you might already be intrigued enough to want to give Meagan Brother's (who apparently is a bit of a rocker herself) Debbie Harry Sings In French a read. Personally, I was sold when I read the title.

Any music enthusiast would get a kick out of this book, as DHSIF is full of popular music references from The Cure's Disintegration, to Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth, to Patti Smith's Horses. "Music" is practically a character in the novel and one of the few "friends" that Johnny finds comfort in. But when he hears a few Blondie lyrics sung in French on the radio, it is Debbie Harry that becomes his muse, his savior, his motivation, a role model, someone he can aspire to be lik...

...wait; does Johnny want to be a girl? He isn't gay, or at least he doesn't...think he is? Is he? I mean, he has a girlfriend, so he is straight, even though he kinda likes to dress up in heels and dresses...right?

Coincidentally, I found that Johnny's confusion regarding his sexuality and obsession with Debbie Harry might not be so abnormal. A song that also happens to have lyrics in French recently enraptured me, too: "Poster of a Girl" by the Canadian band Metric, whose lead singer, another stunning blond named Emily Haines, could very well be argued to be the "Debbie Harry" of this generation, IMHO. I happened to be looking for a performance of this song on YouTube while reading DHSIF, and this particular video of the song begins with a request from a boy to hear "Poster of a Girl," and this boy echoes very similar sentiments of Johnny:



Straight from the sleeve, and I couldn't agree more, "this witty and tender novel introduces shades of gray into the black-and-white ideas of sexuality and gender." Johnny's serious struggles and silly triumphs interwoven with musical insights and discoveries are strange, yet familiar, and very entertaining. It would be very appropriate for liberal high school teaching and contribute to discussions on social relationships, sexual self-discovery, and drug abuse. I give this book "two hands-with-rock-horns" up. Any book that involves teenagers arguing over their favorite Beatle is one that I support.

9 comments:

Tara said...

This novel definitely sounds like a fun read for young adults who may or may not know the gloriousness of Blondie. I'm a huge fan...yep, still have the cassette tape. The picture you have of Deborah Harry is eye catching, and your witty writing style is fun to read.

shirley said...

Your writing is so engaging. I was sold after reading your first paragraph. Although I am not a rocker fan, the book still sounds intriguing. Way to go!

Kate said...

Lauren, your post made made me want to go out and buy this book ASAP! The video was a really great addition to your post, as well.

Kate said...

Dr. Philion--the above comment is from me. My account profile wasn't set up correctly for whatever reason.

Shawnaclarice said...

This book seems to be very intriguing to say the least. But I know plenty of men who enjoy dressing up like their favorite female musician. I went to church for years with a drag queen star. He performed as Patti LaBelle. He is awesome, and his eye make-up is always fabulous!!!! Can you be straight and have an infinity for hosiery? I don't know but the book and your review of it makes me wonder.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to stop reading these reviews before I have to spend the rest of my life holed up as a hermit to finish them all!

Your review is great! And even though I would be surprised to see this book being taught in a classroom, I can easily see it being added to independent reading lists...with a project of a musical variety :)

Tom Philion said...

Ditto to the above, Lauren! Nice job--

I sense the quote at the end comes from the book jacket--is that correct?

I have this one on my reading list!

TP

The Original LC said...

Yup---it is from the jacket (I called it the "sleeve")
:)

Alli Taylor said...

All your reviews are great! And this seems like such a unique YAL book. I'm really intrigued and always interested in non-stereotypical representations of gender and sexuality, along with the music of course! I think I may need to read this book...when I can actually find the time :)