Sunday, November 30, 2008

prey By Lurlene McDaniel


Picture this: a tall, shapely woman, dressed in figuring hugging clothes and wearing stilettos.

Did you picture a high school U.S. History teacher? Pretty positive you didn’t, but neither did any of her students. Especially not Ryan Piccoli. The above description fits Ms. Lori Settles (in the hallways and locker rooms she’s known as Stilettos Settles) to the letter, and none of her students seem to mind. In a novel told from three different viewpoints, the touchy subject of teacher-student relationships is discussed. It is really Ms. Settles fault that Ryan would do anything for her, becoming the ultimate teacher’s pet? Is Ryan being taken advantage of by a teacher who should have his best interests in mind or is he taking advantage of a teacher who developed a soft spot for a student? These questions and more are raised as the reader is taken on a disturbing journey of unquenchable desire, supposed love, and immoral decisions.

Lurlene McDaniel takes a turn from her typically heart warming novels to bring us prey, a book she admits is written about a topic outside her norm (others agree). As mentioned, prey discusses a topic that has recently garnered more attention: female teachers having sexual relationships with male students. Because of this contemporary topic and the issues it raises, this would be a book that I would recommend to not be taught in schools. I do not see any problems with students reading this book, but for a teacher to use this book in his or her classroom, Pandora’s box would certainly be opened. Imagine a female teacher trying to teach a book about a female teacher having a sexual relationship with a male student…in a classroom that is bound to have male students. For an independent reading book, prey could easily be put on the list under the heading of “contemporary topics,” but I feel that it should not be a required read of any student.

I have read other blogs that have expressed some of the same concerns about this book, and there are also comments about how the book is written. If you have read any other novels by Lurlene McDaniel, you know what a good writer she is, and sadly this book does not always live up to her high standards. Some parts do not feel complete, while others are perfectly crafted. It could be said that because McDaniel chose to step outside her comfort area, the book seemed to struggle, and I would be willing to agree.


Overall, the book is a good read, but don’t go on my word alone…let the author tell you about it herself!

9 comments:

shirley said...

I actually wanted to read Prey, and maybe I will once I get some free time. I know that it is common for students to have crushes on their teacher--I know I did. I agree that this book is not appropriate for a teacher to include in the curriculum. I don't even know if it is appropriate as an independent reading book, but I will have to read it to find out.

Kate said...

Your review of this book reminded me a lot of the Pacey Witter - Ms. Jacobs story line from the first season of "Dawson's Creek"--anyone else remember that!? In any case, I wasn't aware that Lurlene McDaniel was still writing. I have to say, I'm kind of surprised at her dramatic shift in subject matter...I doubt this book would ever be used in a classroom. Parents would complain that it might give their sons ideas!

Tara said...

hmmmm, interesting. I would have to agree with you about not teaching this book in the classroom. As a future teacher, this whole subject grosses me out. How could an adult woman ever do something like that with a student, it's just gross. I'm not sure if I'd even read this because of that. :)

Anonymous said...

McDaniel did admit that Prey was a far step from any of her other novels...and that she doesn't plan on writing any more like this. There's an author's note in the book that explains that McDaniel wasn't even planning on writing this book but that it seemed to "write itself."
Including this book in any facet would be very difficult, and as mentioned, many parents would object (I don't blame them!). I agree with the "gross" factor, Tara, but the one blog I linked to helped me make it through the book because it said that for students who read it, they then will be aware of some of the "signs" if a friend starts acting strangely. I think that can also be true for teachers who read it because Lori Settles did not act in any way like a "normal" teacher.

The Original LC said...

Teaching this book would be AWWKKKWAARRRDDD...I agree. No.

And I agree, Tara. Gross.

But being that inappropriate teacher/ student relationships seem to be popping up more and more these days and I plan to be one myself, I think I might give this a read. It seems like this book could be a could way to explore the issue of teacher/ student boundaries.

Anonymous said...

As I said in a previous post, the subject is too creepy for me. And yes, Kate, I remember the Jacobs-Witter debacle. Including this in the curriculum would be uncomfortable for teachers and students alike. I really like your review. Because sometimes my brain works slower than my eyes, I read the title as Prey but thought it meant pray. Then started to read the review and was really confused. But then I stopped being a ditz and I figured it out.

Anonymous said...

Also, I forgot to say that I would like to read this because I enjoy novels from several different perspectives. Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible and Chuck Palaniuk's Rant are two faves. As uncomfortable as the subject matter might be, I suppose I have read more uncomfortable books (anyone read American Psycho by Ellis?) and could allow this to be an independent read for myself.

Tom Philion said...

wow--what a great review and conversation.

val--is there any "play" with the word "prey"? I ask because McDaniel's previous books do emphasize the value of prayer.

I'm also thinking about possible explanations for this novel. One is that McDaniel's core audience has grown up--so maybe this is an effort to appeal to teens, but even more so young adults (20-30 year olds) who grew up reading other novels by this author.

also, i'm thinking about the current edginess in YAL. I am almost done with the sequel to Octavian Nothing, and the f-word occurs, and there are some other more disturbing elements (realistic, but disturbing). I get the sense that changes in our television viewing habits, inspired by cable, and a general loosening of mores in the society at large, and perhaps within the book-buying public especially, are leading publishers and authors to push the envelope more than ever before.

something to be aware of, i think, as you consider incorporating yal into your classrooms in the future.

cheers,
tp

Anonymous said...

The only play on the word prey that I noticed was who was supposed to be the prey and who was supposed to be the predator. There is not a whole lot of praying - or anything that could be thought of as praying - going on.

As for the rationale behind this book, McDaniel simply states that this book just happened. She was doing some research for a book and the research led to this particular subject area and she just went with it. I don't think she was really trying to "do" anything with writing such a book...simply writing a book that seemed to write itself.