Sunday, November 30, 2008

the host By Stephenie Meyer


What would you do if your body was invaded by a parasitic soul and you are expected to just give up your body and mind to this soul? Would you put up a fight? Would you willingly give up control of your body, your mind, your actions, and your emotions simply because a glowing worm said so?

This is the situation Melanie Stryder, one of the few remaining humans, is put in. In a failed attempt at finding a family member, she tries to kill herself so that she can not be taken by the Souls, the aliens that have invaded Earth. The reader is introduced to Wanderer, the soul implanted in Melanie’s body, and the reader starts to see that Melanie is not going to go away quietly. Wanderer and Melanie begin to work together, forming a bond that shouldn’t exist, as they search out Melanie’s brother and her boyfriend, who they hope are still human. In a world where humans are feared by the Souls and the Souls are feared by humans, is it possible for a human and soul to work together?

Stephenie Meyer takes a break from writing about vampires and werewolves to write her first “adult” novel in the science fiction genre. the host can be easily read by high school students, though I am sure anyone who is a fan of Stephenie Meyers will be more than wanting to read it. Strangely, it starts off slow and is slightly difficult to get in to, but it does pick up and readers will be hard pressed to put it down. Meyers claims that she did not intentionally write an “adult” novel, so it is no surprise that I am willing to recommend it for young adults as well.

This book could be taught in the classroom, but most likely in a science fiction geared class because of its subject matter. The novel has many themes (i.e. loneliness, love, struggle for survival) that could easily be tied into more classical work being read in the classroom…it would all be up to the teacher to figure out how it could be done!

7 comments:

Kate said...

What with whole Twilight craze that's going on at the moment, I've been debating whether or not to read any of Stephanie Meyer's books. Simply put, I'm worried that I'll be disappointed that they won't live up to the hype. I wasn't aware that The Host even existed--I might have to check this out over winter break. I'm wondering if it could be used in the classroom in conjunction with some Ray Bradbury short stories...

Anonymous said...

I haven't read a lot of Bradbury but The Martian Chronicles could be easily used as a tie-in. H.G. Wells's The War of the Worlds could also be used. Almost any text that deals with "alien invasion" could be a good fit...though The Host has a slightly more "romantic" feel to it :)

As for Stephenie Meyer's books, I reccomend them :) My two younger sisters love them, and for someone "older," they are a great quick read. Only thing - you need to be into supernatural things...if you are, you'll be hard pressed to put the books down :)

priscilam said...

I absolutely love this book more than the last three books for the vampire series. I was reading it and I thought oh wow this is very imaginative. However, I was sort of disappointed when I saw the movie The Invasion (because it was randomly on tv) and I realized how similar this is. Not to say that the book is any less thrilling but it made me examine the simplicity of Stephenie Meyer. I guess in a way this is not a bad thing because great minds think a like but still it sort of changed it for me.

Bismah said...

I read the entire Twilight series this summer and loved them. I look forward to reading The Host during winter break. Thanks for the warning that the book starts slow. I will not let that hinder my reading.

The Original LC said...

You guys, this lost me at "glowing worm." I can't help it. I understand that Sci-Fi themes can be useful in educational settings, but...I can't help it!

It's weird because I love the LOST TV series.

Maybe I just need to try and be a little more open minded. But Sci-Fi is like country music to me. I don't get it and don't want to waste my time on it when I could be reading something else that I think rocks!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that "glowing worm" ruined The Host for you, Lauren. Though, in reality, the worms play a small role in a book that is heavy on the relationships and trying to survive. I am not a *huge* sci-fi fan (I do love country music though!), but I was able to get into this book without too much effort. I would be tempted to say that this book would be a great way to ease yourself into sci-fi :)

Tom Philion said...

Lauren:

Check out this review I wrote about a YA adventure/sci fi series that is very readable and fun.

http://theageof.blogspot.com/2008/01/sleeper-conspiracy-by-tom-sniegoski.html

Interestingly, there is a lot of literature these days about "dual personalities. Check out "The Thirteenth Tale" if you want to explore this theme in a very sophisticated adult context that also would be appropriate if teaching Brit. Lit in high school.

http://theageof.blogspot.com/2007/10/thirteenth-tale-by-diane-setterfield.html

Cheers,
TP