Friday, December 5, 2008

Eclipse


Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer

Vampires, werewolves, and humans, oh my! Meet the love triangle in Eclipse. Eclipse is the third book in the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer.
When we last left off from New Moon, Edward and Bella were reunited after a terrifying encounter with the Vampire Royalty, the Volturi. Jacob, Bella’s best friend and a werewolf who hates vampires, decides he can’t be Bella’s friend as long as she stays with Edward.

In Eclipse, Bella struggles to connect with Jacob and to find a balance between him and Edward. Edward continues to repent for absence from Bella. Jacob confesses his love for Bella. Does Bella feel the same way? Jacob fights dirty for Bella’s love, but so does the vampire.

While all this is going on, someone is creating newborn vampires who go on a killing spree in Seattle. Vicki, the revenge-seeking vampire, is using the newborns to target Bella and the Cullens (Edward and his vampire family) for killing her love, the vampire James.

Will Bella escape Vicki’s wrath again? Will Bella find a way to keep both her werewolf best friend and vampire soul mate in her life? Is she ready to give up her human life and all her human experiences, including the physical, to become a vampire? Read the book and find out.

Eclipse is an extensive third part of the series. The book entertains readers through captivating metaphors (“I maybe the sun, but I can’t fight an eclipse.”), a connection to the classic Wuthering Heights, and a sort of demented fairy-tale love story. Although some parts of the book are slow, it’s worth reading to the end, and then reading the final book in the series Breaking Dawn. If a high school class did a novel study on Wuthering Heights, Eclipse would be a great add on for a book club. Now that Twilight is a movie, adolescent girls will be more enticed to read this series.

6 comments:

priscilam said...

I actually liked this book. I absolutely hated New Moon, but this one seems to me that it goes back to Meyers writing a little more. I'm not sure if you read New Moon but it seems that she wrote it in a hurry. However, I happen to like Wuthering Heights and although I see the connection I also feel like she was reaching a bit.

I get the Heathcliff connection but I'd say that Wuthering Heights is really a classic for a reason. Eclipse, to me anyway, falls short of making that lasting impression.

Heather said...

I agree that the popularity of the Twilight movie may encourage more young people to read this series, but I feel at the same time that is exactly what makes it less probable that it be used in the classroom.

I am not saying by any means that it shouldn't be, but I just think once a novel becomes popular as a movie, or anywhere in the entertainment industry to young adults, people assume it cannot have any value in an educational setting. What do you think about this? If a teacher taught this series, or say the Harry Potter series, what do you think the reactions would be from both other teachers as well as parents?

The Original LC said...

Heather---interesting point! Kinda doesn't make sense if you think about it...you would think that once something is prevalent in popular culture, you would WANT it to be addressed in an educational setting as well, to address WHY it is popular, and how it is relevant. And since students are ALREADY engaged in it, it may be easier to teach lessons based on it.

My best friend is obsessed with this series and I know the movie is all hot right now. I'm glad that I got to read this brief review to get an idea of what this is all about.

Anonymous said...

As an avid reader of Stephenie Meyers (not that hard with only 4 books!), I would love to be able to teach her books in the classroom. I think that her books have a great entertainment factor and can be used to captivate reluctant readers. The popularity of the movie may turn off some potential readers depending on their view of the movie, but on the other end of the spectrum, in the case of my sister - she is now re-reading the series for the third time :)

Bismah said...

I am one of those people that loves reading books that are made into movies. I read Harry Potter my first year of teaching, and I have since read the books at least another 5 times.

Same thing with the Twilight series...this was the 3rd time I read Eclipse, and that's since July.

I don't know if I would use this for a whole class novel study because I think it would alienate the boys too much. I always look for books that my boys will be interested in well.

Josette said...

I've watched the Twilight movie last week and thought that it was okay. Too much staring and gazing between Edward and Bella though. It made me squirm in my seat!

Anyway, I only finished Eclipse 2 nights ago and am glad to say that I kind of liked it. It was a quick read for me, really enjoyable. :)