Saturday, December 6, 2008

Truancy by Isamu Fukui



Teachers are meant to make lives miserable! They assign homework every night in order to ensure that we have no social life left. Oh and if you act up, punishment is guaranteed. Luckily, in reality teachers are only trying to help. Sometimes school may seem like a punishment but it is not meant to be. School is meant to enrich us with knowledge and a thirst for more knowledge, but what if school really was a punishment?

Truancy, is a book that portrays what school could turn into if we continue to stifle imaginations. It is a very gutsy attempt to show that hindering students is something that can only lead to chaos. Isamu Fukui is a young writer that tells the story of Tack. In the world where Tack lives he has no choice but to abide by rules. His education is a forced. The students are reprimanded from having creativity or questions because they are meant to learn that rules are to be followed. Tack tells the story of a world where students revolt in order to fight the powers of administrators. The underground world reveals a violent and yet hopeful chance for students. Tack has to decide if he is with the Truancy or against them. Either way Tack learns that his world should not be so hindered by school.

Fukui is a writer that appeals to young students because of this sense of revolution towards school. His intolerance for strict punishment is obvious. The book deals with issues like Zero-tolerance policies, attendance policies, and even test taking. While this book can appeal to many high school students, it can also be confusing. The book deals with students wanting to take back education. Students can learn that taking tests does not ensure intelligence and they realize that creativity is important.

However, this book is often trite and overworked. While it has some interesting points it feels as if the reader is being forced to accept the views of the characters. It is a slow moving book that has some very insightful views, but it certainly does lose some appeal. The book can be confusing because it might spark more controversies against education. Surely a book cannot be disliked for mere controversy, but in this case times are tough. Many schools have had to worry about students bringing weapons to school and unfortunately in this book the issue of violence is prevalent. While the story attempts to persuade students for a passive revolution it is difficult to predict how young malleable minds would interpret the message. It is definitely a book worth talking about in high school but for younger readers it might be too much violence and anger.

6 comments:

Heather said...

This book is interesting to me because I really have not heard of anything else out there like it. I do agree that it would probably not be suitable for junior high students, and I would even question if high school students could handle it. I do think it would be a good read for people already in the field of education or those considering it.

Bismah said...

Is this what education is coming to? With all this teaching to the test, aren't we already inhibiting our students' creativity and imagination?

Truancy sounds really interesting. But I do agree that kids could get the wrong idea after reading it. There is always the argument of what influences kids. When playing violent video games, will kids be influenced to behave in a more violent fashion? In this case, after reading a violent book, will kids behave the same way? I don't know. I think arguments like this will be on-going without an answer.

The Original LC said...

I plan to read this book ASAP. Part of my eduactional philosophy is an emphasis on students as a active contributer to their education and to always voice their opinions and stand up for their personal beliefs while maintaing respect for everyone else. I like that the students in this book are not passive receptors but demand an education that they deem of quality.

Anonymous said...

I am interested in reading this book as well...and I think it is because of the educational impact this book could have on me. As I am creating lesson plans for my time of student teaching, I am constantly asking myself: "would I want to do this as a student?" and I think this book may help me answer that question on occasion.

LMiddona said...

Wow, what an interesting way to tackle so many issues that the world of education is facing today. I would be interested in reading this just to see how each of these issues are addressed. This is really a different concept. I am interested in seeing from the student's point of view on all of these educational policies and "rules." Great review! I plan on reading this over the holiday break!

Anonymous said...

"The book deals with students wanting to take back education."

This sentence stood out to me more than anything else in the review. I am not giving the thumbs down to your review Priscila. Au contraire...I feel that you have managed to define what it is that schools are lacking.

I am not quite exactly sure what goes on in the novel as far as amount of learning being done, or the violence that occurs, or the students declaring a mutiny against teachers...I may have gone a little too far, but I definitely believe that the statement I pointed out at the beginning is a good way to brainstorm ways to allow students to fell as if they are in more control over their own future.

Just a thought. I'm not a teacher so I don't know how that would even work.

Lauren-
I like that your educational philosophy involves "an emphasis on students as a active contributer to their education and to always voice their opinions and stand up for their personal beliefs while maintaing respect for everyone else".
I want to know where you are teaching so i can send my learners there. Not that I have kids. Or will have kids anytime soon. But, just keep me posted. :-)