Thursday, December 4, 2008

A People's History of American Empire by Howard Zinn



The first time I heard about author Howard Zinn was when I was in high school, and I saw this movie (about 1:30 minutes into the video):



I love history. I also love the character of Will Hunting and was intrigued by this book, A People's History of the United States, that he called one of the "right f*cking books." I ended up buying it when I was in college. However, I have had a hard time actually reading it entirely because I always have to read other books for class.

So imagine my happiness when I saw that Howard Zinn's A People's History of American Empire was one of the choices for this project. This book is part comic book, part autobiography, part propaganda, and very history. It is a graphic (drawings as well as some "real" pictures mixed in there) novel in which Zinn examines America - history, government, politics, foreign policy, and people - with skepticism and criticism towards those in positions of power and with admiration for those who are less fortunate, yet have fought for what is right and just. Zinn inserts himself in the novel as the narrator, beginning with the Massacre at Wounded Knee in 1890 and taking us through the current war in Iraq, along the way relating his own life experiences, such as fighting in WWII and encouraging African American students to protest against segregation at a college where he taught. He exposes a side of American history that we usually don't see: ruthless power struggles between Americans, and between America and the the rest of the world, arguing that America is an ever-aspiring and expanding empire with undisclosed imperialistic priorities and ulterior motives, more than a republic of good natureddemocracy-touting equals.

I found myself teetering between feelings of disgrace and disgust in the dealings of the American government, and awe and pride for the grassroots efforts of seemingly powerless, disadvantaged people throughout the world in overcoming injustices and making things right for the sake of humankind and true democracy. Whether or not you agree with Zinn, this book definitely inspires the reader to question...everything. History, people, government, country...Zinn begins a discussion on all of it that is sure to inspire internal debate as well as public.

While the graphics aid with comprehension and turn a complex historical perspective into "storytelling," there is still A LOT of detailed historical elements in this book...and it wasn't a breeze for this grad student to follow it all, let alone a teenager. I would love to discuss Zinn's arguments in a high school setting, but on top of the complexity, it leans way liberal left, and I wouldn't be surprised if educators questioned the appropriateness of this book at the high school level.

But, as Will Hunting said, it definitely "blew my hair back."

Here is another video of a segment from the book and its graphics, narrated by this guy:


5 comments:

Bismah said...

Matt Damon-Yum.
Viggo Mortenson-Double Yum
Thanks for including those two in your review.

During my senior year in college I had a wonderful professor for my methods for teaching social studies. She really opened my eyes to the one-sided history we've been taught in the public education system.

Because of her, I promised myself that when became a teacher, my kids would always know both sides of history. I have done that with Columbus and the American Revolution.

I also bought Zinn's People's History...but like you, always had something else I had to read. When I saw this book on the list, I thought about reading it, too.
After reading your review, I definitely will.

Kate said...

I read Howard Zinn's People's History (the non-graphic novel version) a few years back and would definitely describe it as an eye-opening experience. I think it's awesome that the book was turned into a graphic novel.

Presenting this could open up some great connections to history classes (obviously) as well as open up conversations about historical non-fiction texts that often get covered in English classes.

Anonymous said...

I, too, love history and I, too, bought A People's History... and I, too, have been too busy since high school to actually finish it. This review made me want to pick it up and re-read it and then read American Empire. I am really into the truth about historical events and what happened to the people on the losing side. I love reading books that, as Damon said, "blow your hair back."

Tom Philion said...

ditto--lauren, thanks for the great review. I've actually never watched that movie, but I watched the entire clip, and its now on my "to watch" list (once the little ones hit the sack).

awesome stuff--its a sign of the popularity of the graphic novel genre that people like Howard Zinn are jumping in. a good move, I think (the book is on my list, too).

cheers,
tp

Alli Taylor said...

I love Good Will Hunting, but I would have never realized this connection without you pointing it out, so thanks. And I really want to read this! I almost picked it for my graphic novel but decided on Arab in America instead. I would by no means classify myself as a history buff, even though I'm interested in it, so I'm glad Zinn created this graphic novel version because that feels a lot more accessable to me.