Sunday, December 7, 2008

The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle


In Aryn Kyle's debut novel, The God of Animals, twelve-year old Alice Winston has more on her plate than the average preteen. When her sixteen-year old sister Nona elopes with a rodeo cowboy, she is left to endure the verbal abuse from her father, Joe. Frustrated that his family business is declining and that his prized rodeo daughter is no longer around, he has to find a way to make ends meet. Looking for a 'meal ticket' to riches, Joe decides to open his ranch to wealthy borders. As Alice is the only family member left by her father's side, she witnesses first hand how her father lies and cheats to keep his business alive.


Alice's mother Marilyn, has no idea of the mishaps going on because she has not left her bedroom since Alice was a baby. It is implied that Marilyn is suffering from postpartum depression, but 12 years sounds absurd. Alice is forced to grow up on her own, giving her character a voice more mature than an average 12-year old. Looking for the affection and adoration that her father gives his borders, Alice stumbles across her English teacher's phone number and decides to give him a call. An awkward friendship forms between the two, but Alice feels that it is much more. She begins to live a deceitful life, just as she witnessed her father doing.


When Joe's parents arrive for an unexpected visit, Alice does not know what to expect. They don't know of Nona's departure, the ailing health of her mother, or the stealing and lies that are the foundation on which the family stands. As all the secrets unravel one by one, both explicit and implied, the reader becomes destined to figure out the truth that lies beneath.


This coming of age novel is not appropriate to be incorporated in a Language Arts curriculum. Aryn Kyle addresses every theme that Young Adult Literature is common for, and then some (i.e animal cruelty, postpartum depression). The novel was uncomfortable and awkward at times, especially the bond that forms between Alice and her teacher. It is a lengthy novel that at times is drawn out, which would make it a better read on audio than in book format. Below is Aryn Kyle offering insight on her first novel that started off as short stories.


6 comments:

Ayodeji said...

When reading your review I found it hard to see how this would be good to incorporate it into teaching in high school, but then you mentioned the "coming of age" thing and it clicked. This is a subject that is rearly discussed but is very needed...

Anonymous said...

I would be a little embarrassed to teach this book mainly because of its student-teacher implications. As a senior in high school I was asked out on a date by a student teacher (long story- if you want to hear it let me know...it's kind of funny) and it was extremely uncomfortable. I guess it is more a personal thing which makes me not want to discuss this topic with students.

shirley said...

Ayodeji-despite the coming of age aspect, I don't think this book is appropriate at all because of the conversations Alice has with her teacher every late night.

TinaG-I would love to hear your story about the student tecaher.

Alli Taylor said...

Tina....I second Shirley! That's real awkward.

Anonymous said...

hahaha...okay, here it goes:

I was a senior in high school and in one of my a.p. classes we had a student teacher who came to our class every day to observe the teaching of an a.p. class. It just so happened that the first day he came into our class we were working in groups discussing some ancient civilization (or something just as a.p.-esque).
Before I go on, let me just say that the students that were in this class were the same students I had gone to school with and had all my classes with since at least freshman year. So after 3.5 years and, on average, 5 classes together each year, we were more than close friends. Joking around constantly, going out together after school, and even, in some cases, dating each other.
That being said, we were being our usual selves and the introduction of a new person (the student teacher) who was close to us in age (23) just added to the atmosphere. The student teacher, I'll call him Ross (because that was his name), sat in on the group that I was in. We treated him like one of our peers. We made him laugh. We even forced him to participate in our discussion. Everything seemed fine.
It was about two days later and I had arrived at school early to get some work done when Ross put his foot over the line of student-teacher relationships. As I walked into school I ran into him in the hallway near the entrance. I was polite, said hello, and asked him what he was doing so early. He said he was observing another class but over anticipated how long it was going to take him to get to school on time. I laughed-because I didn't know what else to do-and probably made some joke about him being a teachers pet. I told him I had to get going to my locker and just as I was about to leave he asked me if I minded if he walked with me, seeing as how he was extremely early and didn't really know anywhere he could wait. I didn't mind. He had been coming to our class for almost two weeks and I was sure I would think of something useless to talk to him about. So I nodded and we descended the stairs to my locker. Luckily it was a short walk so very little words were exchanged- is your locker far? no, just around the corner? oh, cool.
As I stood at my locker exchanging books I needed for homework with books I needed for my morning classes, I yawned (not only because it was early, but also to occupy my mouth so I didn't have to talk) and Ross began saying how he liked our class and how he'd love to have students like my classmates and me. I agreed and jokingly told him he wouldn't be lucky enough to have students as amazing as us. "You're probably right," he said. "You like to read, don't you?" he continued. I nodded emphatically in agreement and as I did he was pulling a Borders Coffe Club card from his pocket and a pen from his coat- "Here's my number. Let's get together and discuss books sometime."
I was completely flattered. Of course I wasn't ever going to call, but he was fairly attractive and I was in high school getting hit on by a 23 year old. I nervously laughed and responded ambiguously; I didn't want to say no and make things awkward but I didn't want to say yes and lead him on. He walked away, seemingly satisfied with my lack of commitment. I waited until he was out of sight before I slammed my locker door and searched for someone in my class to tell.
It was during lunch the following day that Ross went from putting his foot over the proverbial line to setting up camp miles beyond it. I was eating my lunch at my schools radio station where a friend and I were discussing ideas for our next show when, all of a sudden, I was called down to the main office. Loving any chance to take a walk through the halls I headed down to the office and was beyond confused at the sight I saw before me. The secretary pushed a huge box in my direction which held at least 2-dozen red roses. I was speechless! Were they from the guy I had been eyeing in the halls? Was the delivery a mistake? Did my mom send these? I didn't wait to find up there, instead I headed up to the radio station where I nervously opened the box to get at the enclosed letter. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the letter for you. I'm sure I have it somewhere but I cannot seem to find it right now. Anyway, it went something like this:

Tina,
I hope this is the right person. I wasn't sure of your last name but I hope I figured it out correctly. I just wanted to tell you that I can't stop thinking about you and love talking to you during class. While you speak I draw tiny pictures of you in my notebook so I can remember you. Please call me so we can go out sometime. I can't wait to hear from you.

Ross

This is definitely very lacking in creepiness, but I assure you, the original was so weird. After reading it I remembered one day he asked to borrow my pencil. He began intensely writing in his notebook. We wanted to know what he was doing but he wouldn't show any of us sitting around him. Apparently he was drawing ME! Weirdo! Needless to say, during class that day, where Ross was conveniently not present, I told my teacher what happened. I had to tell our dean and our dean had to e-mail him and tell him he was no longer allowed to come to our school.
When all my friends found out about it they started leaving notes on my desk that mimicked the creepiness of the one from Ross. They are pretty funny, but not something I should write on this blog. I still have the card with Ross' number on it if anyone wants it. ;-)

Alli Taylor said...

OH MY GOD Tina! That is the craziest and most hilariously creepy story ever!! I can not believe that really happened! Wow. That story really exceeded my expectations. Haha! Thanks for sharing :)